Thursday, June 7, 2012

my ode to fireflies

an amazing photo by Tsuneaki Hiramatsu,
capturing a surreal shot of hundred of fireflies
check out this link for more: stunning photography
Last night on my way home, I had my first firefly spotting of the summer. Is there anything more quintessentially summer than the firefly? That tiny little lightning bug's glow could be spotted from quite a distance, and it instantly put a smile on my face while my mind recalled the many summers' past when I was a kid and fireflies were at the top of my "favorites things ever" list. Here's a lovely poem, relevant to more than just fireflies.

"If You Catch a Firefly" by Lilian Moore

If you catch a firefly
            and keep it in a jar
You may find that
            you have lost
A tiny star.

If you let it go then,
            back into the night,
You may see it
            once again
Star bright.


1 comment: