Wednesday, July 18, 2012

rain, rain, don't go away!

As is much of the country, here in Madison, we are in the midst of one serious drought of a summer. It's without a doubt the driest, hottest summer in my memory. We've had about 10 minutes of gentle rain in the past month...until now! 

I've been up for awhile this morning, unable to sleep, and my cat Nino was first to alarm me to the approaching thunderstorm. Cats never seem to outgrow the fear of thunderstorms. Before I knew it, I saw a bright flash of light from the corner of my eye confirming Nino's odd behavior. And the downpour began. Saying this rain is like manna from heaven is not an exaggeration. We desperately needed this.

As I write this, I'm sitting on our screened-in porch surrounded by the heavy rain, the downpour is like a beloved melody that my ears haven't heard in so long. What a beautiful song! May we hear it often.

Rain in the Summer
by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

How beautiful is the rain!
After the dust and heat, 
In the broad and fiery street, 
In the narrow lane, 
How beautiful is the rain!

How it clatters along the roofs, 
Like the tramp of hoofs 
How it gushes and struggles out 
From the throat of the overflowing spout!

Across the window-pane 
It pours and pours; 
And swift and wide, 
With a muddy tide, 
Like a river down the gutter roars 
The rain, the welcome rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment