Monday, January 2, 2012

Impressionist winter scenes

It has been a remarkably snowless winter here in Madison, which has made travel and getting around town easy, but to be honest, I'm ready for snow! Winter, to me, just doesn't seem like winter without a good coating of snow to blanket all of the brownness that the cold weather brings about. Plus there's an understated beauty that comes about on a quiet snowy day. 

Since there's no snow for me to enjoy in person, I put together a few photos of winter scenery paintings. I took these last time I was at the Art Institute of Chicago - about a month ago - and am glad I have these to admire on another snowless winter day!
Rabbit Warren at Pontoise
by Camille Pissarro - 1879 
Sandvika, Norway
by Claude Monet, 1895
Stack of Wheat, Snow Effect
by Claude Monet, 1890/1891
Don't you think the Impressionists capture the myriad of winter colors better than just about anything? How many shades of white are there in Monet's haystack scene?

No comments:

Post a Comment