Monday, February 21, 2011

sky blue infinity

Knitting lace weight yarn is a new favorite winter past-time of mine. To me, scarfs are ideal - making it convenient to take each project with me whether it's for a long car ride, a business trip or vacation, plus I think I've always been partial to scarfs. I've been known to sport light weight scarfs - silk or cotton in the summer months too. There's just something about keeping one's neck warm!

For this project I used yarn I purchased awhile ago on Etsy - it's SRK Ovation Kid Mohair & Silk a 75% mohair/25% silk blend in the color "sky" (more green than blue). The pattern I used was a new for me. A few Christmas's ago my parents gave me a great gift - a little box that contains all lace pattern stitches - this box, more like a deck of cards than anything else, is called "Lace Knitting to Go" by Andrea Tung. I think it's a brilliant idea as it makes carrying one pattern around so much easier and as an added perk each pattern is beautifully photographed for inspiration! For this project, I used the lace stitch called "Orchard", which can be done over any multiple of 8 stitches plus 1.The pattern is 5 rows that repeat and repeat until you have your desired length. For my infinity scarf, I casted on 33 stitches (8 x 4 + 1). I connected the ends when I was done and voila, my "infinity" scarf was born! The #1 advantage of an infinity scarf in my opinion, is that there are never loose ends - a huge perk when one, such as myself, is prone to losing their scarfs!  

light weight and airy

doesn't it have such nice body?

a close-up of the Orchard pattern

the completed infinity scarf -
it wraps around two times...
lofty, soft, and warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment