Tuesday, February 1, 2011

something new for dinner

In my mind, enough praise can't be said about sitting down to a home cooked meal. Don't get me wrong, there are those nights when I'm too worn out to even think about cooking, and there those times when I love going out to try a new restaurant, and there are also those nights when only an old, cherished stand-by will do, but there's such a lofty feeling of putting together a good meal for yourself and maybe some loved ones to enjoy. It's an accomplishment we should all take pride in!

Isn't it nice to learn a new dish or two to incorporate into your regular dinner "repertoire?" We tried a new fish dish for dinner a few nights ago and much to our delight it was so tasty - not to mention so incredibly easy. As much as I enjoy reading cookbooks and magazines like Bon Appetit, I'm not one to actually follow recipes. I think recipes can be really helpful to learn about flavor combinations and to get ideas & inspiration, but I much prefer to cook with my senses rather than following a list someone else made!

At the grocery they had some really nice looking sole fillets on special, so we picked up some. And, I thought I'd put together some kind of spicy fruit salsa to jazz up a very simple fish preparation. The rest just came together from what we had in the kitchen, making for a delicious dinner that was full of bright and savory flavors.
thin sole fillets baked with
olive oil and lime slices
 
with the most delicious spicy salsa -
kiwi, clementines, red pepper flakes,
lime juice, garlic and cilantro
so flavorful!

and a simple salad with
balsamic vinegar & olive oil

and don't forget the
baked, crispy potato wedges

making for a most flavorful dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment