Tuesday, February 15, 2011

tea, anyone?

One of my favorite, simple things in life is a good cup, or better yet, a good pot of tea to share with family and friends. I love the warmth tea brings, the cleaning almost astringent-like quality it bears, and lest I not forget, the taste. Teas range in flavor from almost bitter to floral. A few years ago for Christmas I received what is my absolute favorite kitchen appliance - an electric tea kettle but not just any kettle - this one, Utilitea from Adagio has a temperature dial. A true tea lover knows that for a proper cup of tea, the temperature of the water is dependent on the type of tea one is preparing. A black tea, for instance, requires hotter water than a green tea. The wrong temperature along with over and under-steeping are cardinal sins for tea preparation. I raved so much about my electric tea kettle (did I mention it boils water is just a minute or so?) that now, both my mom and brother are proud owners of the same model! If you enjoy tea, I wouldn't think twice - this electric tea kettle is brilliant.

A good cup of black tea - Assams and Earl Greys - are my favorite early morning choices. Later in the morning I enjoy a soothing cup of jasmine green tea. I can't think of another drink that tastes grounded and earthy and light and floral all simultaneously. And the scent is divine! A good jasmine green smells so heavenly, and the heady jasmine scent triggers my own Proustian memory - an instant flash of childhood trips to Thailand where jasmine blooms are commonplace, tender and sweet grandmother and loving grandfather with his baritone voice are in sight, I can hear the constant buzz of mopeds - more like bumblebees than machines, and I can feel that incredible Thai heat. The warmth of the tea makes my cheeks flush as if I'm there in Bangkok reunited with my departed, yet still cherished grandparents. All induced from a breath in and a sip. Isn't remembrance so powerful? Monsieur Proust was on to something...

green jasmine tea - I wish you could smell this!
the brightly painted cup was a gift
from my Great
Aunty Nancy
Then in the afternoon I move away from the "real" teas and sip chamomile, peppermint, or some other herbal blend. Did you know that these actually aren't by definition teas? Tea is a specific type of plant with the scientific name Camellia sinensis. Herbal teas contain no Camellia sinensis and are instead infusions a.k.a. tisanes of flowers, herbs, or fruit. The nice thing about tisanes is that there's no caffeine, which is why they're my afternoon and evening drink of choice!

On an almost daily basis, I look at my husband with a smile, and he hears me say - "ooh, warm beverages are so comforting". It's become a joke in our house because I say this nearly every time I take my first sip of whatever warm drink I'm about to enjoy - it's practically a mantra around here! With Valentine's Day having just passed, my husband of course knew me well enough to know that a box of chocolates to me, doesn't do much because I'm simply not a chocolate girl. I was never one to go crazy for chocolates - I do enjoy a bite of something incredibly dark or a spoonful of airy mouse, but mostly anything else I find cloyingly sweet. He surprised me, for Valentine's Day, with a new teapot - one that is perfectly round, just the way a teapot should be, and with just a touch of French country charm...oh, be still my beating heart!

I have a rather embarrassingly large tea "stash" in one of our kitchen cabinets. I wish you would come join me for a cup of tea - we could use my new tea pot!

my new teapot!
perfectly round with a little French flair

No comments:

Post a Comment