Thursday, May 12, 2011

a continual theme: still lifes of flowers

One continual theme that many artists thankfully gravitate towards, is the image of floral still lifes. Still lifes are works of art depicting the inanimate. I think by looking closely at this genre of painting and seeing how artists have portrayed it over the years is fascinating. You can see what's stayed the same and what has changed. Below are some photos I took of still lifes of flowers, all of these paintings are at the Art Institute of Chicago. I hope you enjoy these colorful canvases as much as I do!
Trompe l'Oeil Still Life with a
Flower Garland and Curtain
Adraein Van der Spelt, 1658  
The Vase of Tulips
by Paul Cezanne, 1890
Still Life with Flowers
by Odilon Redon, 1905
Flowers (Blumen)
artist unknown to me, 1993
Do you have a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment