Monday, April 18, 2011

April showers

We've had more than a few rainy days this April. As the saying goes, April showers bring May flowers. I did a quick Google search to check the origin of that phrase, and boy oh boy it's an old one! The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations dates the original phrase of "April showers bring forth May flowers" as a mid-16th century proverb. I think we take the modern phrase literally, but apparently the proverb originally meant something more broad - that something good can happen from unpleasant events.

I snapped some photos of several of the spring greens in our yard right after a recent gentle rain. I love how rain beads on leaves after a rain shower - to me and my rather vivid imagination, the beads of rain are like diamonds. 
hyacinths pushing upwards...
any day now - we are ready
for the beautiful fragrance!
 
daffodils in the background and
peonies I transplanted last fall in the foreground -
I'm so happy they survived the move and the winter!

these daffodils seem to me to be begging for
a warm, sunny day so they can
showcase their beautiful blooms!
the lilac I planted last spring survived the winter
and with its new growth,
I could not be happier!

No comments:

Post a Comment