Sunday, April 3, 2011

tempus fugit

I was looking through some old photos (the ones taken in the pre-digital camera days, remember those?) and came across this one taken in the summer of 2001 while on vacation with my mom and dad. Despite it being nearly a decade ago, the Latin phrase "tempus fugit" (translated into the more commonly used "time flies") describes exactly how I feel when I look at this photo, as it seems like it was just yesterday that this moment in time was captured.

  taking it all in...
In this photo, I'm standing in front of Monet's Le Bassin d'Argenteuil at the Musee d'Orsay in Paris. In my bedroom as a teenager I had a poster print of this same painting hanging over my bed. I'd lay in bed and look up at those fluffy clouds and sail boats and day dream. Seeing the original and not just the paper copy that I had grown used to was like seeing something entirely new for the first time even though I had seen the image every day for at least 4 years. For me, this was both a humbling and inspiring moment - there is nothing like seeing and experiencing "the real deal" in person. 

Want to learn more about this painting? Here's the d'Orsay's link: 

1 comment: