Monday, April 4, 2011

palma non sine pulvere

That's Latin for "no reward without effort". We started our big outdoor project plans this weekend. There is nothing like a little graph paper to make one get organized. Walking around the back and side yard with our tape measure, note pad and dreams, we came up with our big 3 outdoor projects for this summer. 

Project #1 on the list - fence in our vegetable garden. We were hit hard and often by shockingly large (read: very well fed) rabbits last year. We tried many purported invisible fence sprays and other natural "solutions"; however, nothing seemed to work and as soon as we'd get a leaf of lettuce, it would be gone. Last year the other vegetables did really well so we didn't suffer a total loss against those bunnies, but this year we are taking action - this project, Project #1 on our to-do list will be affectionately known as Operation Peter Cotton Tail Defensive.
Project #1: fencing in our raised
vegetable beds
Project #2 involves a little landscaping and the general beautification of a corner in our back yard. This is where the former owners' much neglected compost was located. We'll put in some evergreens - our back yard is screaming for year-round color. I plan on planting perennials and bulbs in this new garden. And, my husband promised to build me a few wooden garden obelisks so I can have some nice climbing flowers - perhaps climbing roses or clematis. Who knows! I am really excited for this project - it's a blank slate for me to play with.  
Project #2: the tee pee like objects are the obelisks
I have in mind for vines & climbers
Project #3 is the biggest of our projects and my husband, Paul, will be doing the bulk of this. He's really handy so we're very lucky that we can do most of our own home and garden improvements ourselves. Well, plus we enjoy these types of projects, which is a win-win. This project is on the north side of our house so while I'll be there to lend a helping hand with the construction of the path and garbage enclosure, my main contribution to this project will be to design and plant the shade garden. I'm thinking of using really nothing more than the shade loving staples - hostas, astilbes, lily of the valley and bleeding hearts - nothing that requires too much work.  
Project #3: side of the house project -
lots to do!
So we hope that with a little (or a lot) of effort we'll reap some big rewards in our yard this year! I'll post photos along the way.  Wish us good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4/04/2011

    It looks like very well-plan projects! Have fun!!! I wish my husband will build me some garden obelisks too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete