Thursday, June 30, 2011

blowing in the wind

Whenever I see a Tibetan prayer flag, it makes me smile. There is something so cheerful about the colors and how each cloth flag gently dancing in the wind. These flags are a pretty common sight where I live, probably having to do with the progressive politics and diversity that Madison is known for. I did a little reading to learn more about these colorful flags, and I found what I learned to be so interesting. 

The flags are covered in wood-blocked text and images. They aren't covered in prayers to a god, but rather the purpose of these flags is to promote good will. Tibetans believe that when the wind blows these flags, the prayers and mantras printed on them will be carried in the wind and spread compassion, peace, wisdom and strength to the surrounding space and those in it. Isn't that a lovely idea? 
colorful flags with so much meaning

No comments:

Post a Comment