Thursday, June 23, 2011

(re)read: The Secret Garden

On a recent shopping outing to one of my favorite shops, Anthropologie, a beautifully bound saffron colored book caught my eye. Picking it up, its title - The Secret Garden - instantly took me back to my childhood. I adorned this book when I was young, and I ended up buying the book and was excited to reread it as an adult. 
a childhood classic revisited
I've finished rereading "The Secret Garden" now and its words, imagery, and theme transported me back to childhood and reading it for the first time. I love the idea of a long neglected secret garden being stumbled upon by a young girl - I know I loved this theme as a child and I still think it's delightful. The transformation seen in the two main characters - Mary and Colin - are changes brought about by the kindness of others and the magic of gardening. And the author, Frances Hodgson Burnett writes in a way that so well illustrates each of her scenes - here she writes about the spring season in the book's namesake garden:

They drew the chair under the plum-tree, which was snow-white with blossoms and musical with bees. It was like a king's canopy, a fairy king's. There were flowering cherry-trees near and apple-trees whose buds were pink and white, and here and there one had burst open wide. Between the blossoming branches of the canopy bits of blue sky looked down like wonderful eyes.

Absolutely lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment