Thursday, June 16, 2011

postcards lend a punch

Postcards are one of my favorite souvenirs from the trips I take. I like the ones that have a vintage feel, not those photographic ones with colors that are too intense, you know the ones I'm talking about - the ones that are fake looking and a little kitschy. I like artsy postcards so much because they are such an inexpensive souvenir, they're so easy to pack in a suitcase, and you can find some real gems that make fantastic little pieces of art when framed nicely. Below are two that I picked up from Seville last November and one I bought in Venice almost two years ago. I recently framed them in beautifully ornate frames. I think they totally light up the wall by adding so much color and visual interest - they lend a colorful punch, don't you think?

framed postcard from Seville
another from Seville, this one
with a little Art Deco feel
a postcard I picked up in Venice -
it looks as if it were a
watercolor original!
the landing - colorful and bright
with pieces that bring
back happy memories
One last, and probably the most important reason postcards make such a nice touch to decor, is that they will always remind you of the places you've been and hopefully, like in my case with Seville and Venice, locations that were wonderful vacations filled with happiest of memories. When combined with other pieces that have meaning to us - a beautiful vase we received as a wedding gift, a Balinese dancer bell given to me by my great-uncle years ago and other pieces that I've collected over the years - it makes an otherwise perfectly fine landing punched up with color.

1 comment: