Wednesday, March 16, 2011

music & memories

As I write this, I'm listening to AfroCubism's song "Mali Cuba". This entire album has those much needed rhymths that get your mind both relaxed and focused. Not a day goes by that I don't make time for music. Maybe it's because music, in some ways, was a first love of mine. Maybe it's because music is beyond powerful. Haven't we all had our moods altered rather magically by music? Maybe it's just really simple - music can make me so very happy. Whether it's a simple song, a complex symphony, or an ethnic piece of which I don't understand any of the words but I feel exactly what is being conveyed, music is one of those little things in life that actually isn't that little - it's monumental - and it can have an enormously profound effect on all of us. Plain and simple, I think it can make the world a better place.

Certain songs remind me of a specific moment in time; it's like I hear the song, and everything - in that present instant - stops and I am transported back in time. And, if I'm really lucky a song will strike an intensely vivid memory of a moment in time spent with a friend. To me, that's the ultimate win-win. When I hear that piece of music, I always, without any hesitation, think of that friend and smile. It makes my heart ache (in a really good way) for that recalled memory.

Here are some of those friends and those songs I will always associate a memory with - here are "your songs". 

Carrie = always see your face
Casey = the adventure
Clint = teenage wasteland (you know which version)
Dan =  street spirit 
David = else
Harry = given to fly 
Jay = night swimming
Jody = tiny dancer
Joe = carmina burana (you know which version as well)
Karlyn = je t'aime je t'aimerais
Karter = tubthumping
Kate = jane says
Lindsay = vocalise
P'Oode = how deep is your love
Paul = fight test

I wish I was a great artist and could paint or draw for you the memory/image/mood each of these songs makes me feel for you when I hear it. You'll just have to trust me - these, for me, are happy memories indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment