Wednesday, March 30, 2011

a teacher gone - the lessons not forgotten

I heard the news today that a teacher from my high school days passed away. He was burly, could be gruff and a little moody and at the same time really funny.  Man oh man, could he ever teach. I took just one class with him - old English literature where we read and studied Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, and Hamlet - and he made a lasting impression. There is no doubt in my mind that it was from this man that my love for Shakespeare developed. A good teacher gives you those needed tools to understand - the key to unlock the language that might not come naturally to a 17 year old or anyone of any age for that matter. I know without a shadow of a doubt that there are hundreds of grads from my high school who once they learn of this passing will have the same reaction as me. A good teacher, a really good teacher, is someone no student forgets and someone whose life work means more than they could possibly ever know. 

One of my favorite Shakespeare quotes is, "My crown is called content, a crown that seldom kings enjoy". Mr. Trost, thank you - and, I think many would agree, you managed to be both a king and content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment