Thursday, March 24, 2011

a new year for me

Today marks my entrance into the world! I'll be celebrating with friends and family over the next few days (why take just one day to celebrate such an occasion?!). Doesn't one's birthday seem to be the appropriate time to express gratitude for what one has in their life? I'm so thankful for all I have - the family and friends who've help shape my life, the many lessons I've learned and various places I've been fortunate enough to travel to, and the tangible things I've been given and worked for. I am a very lucky birthday girl.

I thought it might be fun to dig out a few photos from my 1st birthday - we were in Thailand then. I think, like most 1 year olds at their 1st birthday, I looked a little confused, probably not all that sure  about what was going on. To me, what's so sweet about these photos is the happiness and love you can see in the faces of others - my beautiful mom, my charming & ridiculously adorable older brother, my feisty and generous great-aunt, and my most gentle and beloved grandmother. Oh how I wish the latter two were still here - they were remarkable women; I learned so much from each of them. And as different from each other as they were (they had completely different approaches to life) they had shared qualities - their senses of humor, their loving embraces, their exuberant laughter, and their tenderness to me. I miss them immensely, but know they are with me in spirit everyday and especially today.  

 32 years ago...
Great Aunty Nancy on the left, an intense look of
curiosity & concentration on my face and
a little help from my mom and brother!
my beautiful mom,
a little, confused looking me,
my grandmother, the kindest woman
you'd ever meet, and could my brother be
any more adorable?
Here's to many, many more birthdays for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment