Monday, January 24, 2011

3 artists, 3 women

I thought it might be a welcome addition to an otherwise ordinary Monday to take a look at some beautiful art.  Personally, I thoroughly enjoy visiting museums whenever I can.  It might go without saying, but I think art is fascinating on so many levels - the pure talent, the choice of colors, the use of forms and lines, the corresponding history, the incorporated symbolism - just to name a few.

Here are some impressively colorful pieces of art that I've snapped at museums (no flash, of course!). Though each is painted by a Frenchman of roughly the same era (in order of the photos: Matisse 1869 - 1954, Lautrec 1866 -1901, and Degas 1834 - 1917), each is a completely different portrayal of a woman. Don't you think that each artist's use of color is so unique and conveys so much?  


a Matisse at Musee de l'Orangerie in Paris...
I adore these colors!


a close-up of a Toulouse Lautrec -
isn't the light amazing?

a Degas at the Art Institute in Chicago -
subtle and beautiful


One of my favorite parts of taking photos of art in museums is having access to all of the exquisite creations on my computer so I can really remember what I saw.  I like to set up a screen-saver and just sit back and have the art right here with me.  It's a great way to bring some beauty into my everyday routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment