Wednesday, January 26, 2011

herbs de kitchen countertop

A love for gardening is in my DNA.  This genetic predisposition, coupled with the very happiest of childhoods spent alongside my mom among her flowers and veggies, makes it's safe to unequivocally say: I adore gardening. To me, there aren't too many things that beat having my hands in the soil and tending to my garden, well except maybe eating some freshly picked treasure, maybe like an heirloom tomato that is so perfectly composed of both flavor and juiciness. Oh, I get excited just thinking about it! I live in a state where I spend 1/2 the year in the garden and 1/2 the year dreaming about my garden. And, obviously, I'm in the middle of the latter right now. 

Growing a few herbs on the kitchen countertop this winter has been one of those "little things" in life that this blog is all about. It's brought a small, healthy dose of garden freshness to my winter kitchen. I don't have many herbs, just three - bay, chives, and thyme. And in the interest of full disclosure, at 1st there were 4, but alas, my rosemary didn't survive long inside. That's okay though. I'll happily take the 75% success rate. When the temperature began to drop, maybe in late October or so, I just dug up these herbs and placed them (most lovingly, I have to admit) into their new homes - ceramic pots. The herbs seem quite content indoors and other than the dearly departed Miss Rosemary, are thriving.

The simplest of joys, to me, is to cut a few sprigs of thyme to throw into a dinner. It's such a small act, but it brings about so much satisfaction. Tell me, isn't this thyme beautiful? And, look at the shadow it casts on the wood cabinet. Have you ever seen such a delicate form? 
thyme & chives

delicate, practically
ethereal thyme

No comments:

Post a Comment