Wednesday, January 12, 2011

dancing queens and kings

It isn't yet near winter's end, and I'm starting to miss the vibrant colors of summer.  Last summer, on a warm and sunny day with bright light shining down on everything it touched, I saw a magical scene straight out of a dream world.  On that seemingly ordinary day, I stumbled across a spot where dozens and dozens of butterflies were feeding on little white puffy flowers.  I was surrounded by these amazing creatures.

Never had I seen so many monarchs in one place - gentle wings delicately dancing until each butterfly grasped onto their own little pillow-like flower.  It was if these orange, white and black beauties had choreographed their enchanting dance as they floated and fluttered from flower to flower.  Once the butterflies latched on to their chosen bloom, their wings slowed down to a stand-still as if slowing down allowed them to fully enjoy the sweet floral nectar. 

three feasting monarchs

I know once summer is here again, I will be looking forward to seeking out this same spot in search of these dancing beauties.

No comments:

Post a Comment