Thursday, January 13, 2011

remembering the Alhambra

Recently I was lucky enough to be able to see the magnificent Alhambra in person.  This Moorish masterpiece is located in the jewel of a city, Granada.  Do you know how everything is starting to look more and more similar?  KFC's in Bangkok, McDonald's in Paris, Starbucks just about everywhere.  To me, when I get to see something completely unique (or at least completely new to me) I find it pretty exciting.  This is one of the reasons why the Alhambra was amazing - I had never seen anything like it before.  I don't really believe in "must-see"/"must-do" lists because everyone has their own sense of what a vacation should be, but if you're interested in history, architecture, gardens, or really delicious food then Granada would be a perfect destination, and perched on top of a hill within Granada is the Alhambra.  

Prints have been my favorite souvenir lately.  It's such a nice way to have a lasting reminder of trips.  I recently framed two prints I bought in Granada.  I think these small prints perfectly capture the beautifully intricate details that cover practically all of the surfaces within the Alhambra.  I love the dark blue and white - don't you think this simple color palate makes the ornate lines pop?


the 2 images - details from the Alhambra

amazingly intricate

details upon details
There are places I've been that even before I leave I already know I'll be back.  Granada and the Alhambra are 2 of those places.  

No comments:

Post a Comment