Friday, January 7, 2011

flowerful Friday

I truly adore flowers, and in my mind there's no wrong time for their beauty.  Don't you think they make the special occasion more so and they make the "ordinary" less so? There's not a flower that I've ever seen that I didn't like.  For me, the thought of picking one or two flower types as favorites would be simply impossible.  It amazes me how each flower has its own look, its own mood. Compare a single snow white orchid, a densely arranged bundle of paper white hydrangeas, and bright white hollyhocks blissfully reaching for the sun - each to me is beautiful, and despite the color that unifies them all, each invokes a completely different feeling.

In Chicago I lived above a small family owned flower shop.  Every time I arrived home I had a store front full of beautiful blooms greeting me.  As summer approached and the weather grew warmer, the shop would open up its displays onto the sidewalk, sharing those fragrant and colorful blossoms with all passersby.  It was lovely.  I feel so incredibly lucky to have lived on a street where you could walk just 4 blocks north, past restaurants, bars & boutiques and see 3 flower shops.  My favorite of these 3 looked as if it were plucked out of Paris and dropped down in Chicago.  Each flower in each color rested in its own steely grey metal bucket, so that along the floor, shelves, and tables there was a rainbow's spectrum of colors - a feast for the eyes!

For me, the one and only downside of flowers is their fleeting nature.  Don't you think that's all the more reason to capture their beauty in photograph?  Here are a few I've snapped...

fragrant paperwhites

cheery potted blooms

colorful snapdragons 


unusual color combination

one perfect bloom

tulips at a farmers' market

a softly radiant hydrangea 

No comments:

Post a Comment